ND Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners: Temporary Permit Application - Pending Examination

Home » Licensing Information » Temporary Permit Application - Pending Examination »

Veterinarian Licensure Application Process

Temporary Permit - Pending Examination

A qualified applicant who has graduated from a recognized College or School of Veterinary Medicine, and who has taken and passed the National Board Examination (NBE) and Clinical Competency Test (CCT) or the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE), and for some valid reason has not taken the North Dakota state examination, may obtain a temporary permit to practice veterinary medicine in North Dakota until the next examination.

To apply for this type of permit, you must:

  • Complete the License Application Form.
  • Pay the appropriate fees for the license application and the permit.  The application fee is $75.00, the initial license fee is $90.00, and the temporary permit fee is $40.00.
  • Unless you took the NAVLE through North Dakota, submit your NBE and CCT or NAVLE scores through the VIVA score transfer service operated by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). Their website is www.aavsb.org or you may call them at 877-698-8482.
  • Provide a copy of your diploma or other official proof of graduation from the College or University attended.

The permit will be issued by the Executive Secretary of the North Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. No permit will be granted to an applicant who has previously failed the North Dakota Examination. Please note that this permit does not allow you to do the work of an accredited veterinarian. You need to be licensed and you must complete the orientation program administered by the USDA before you can work as an accredited veterinarian in North Dakota.


Updated 04/09/2022